International driver’s license
International driver’s license: Address any common queries related to international driver’s licenses in this section.
- Why do I need an IDP? As long as there are many countries that speak different languages, you may find that you are not allowed to drive a car abroad even if you can drive in your country. This can be caused by misunderstanding a foreign document or the requirements of the driving license forms, which differ in different countries. The International Driving Permit (IDP) is intended to overcome the difficulties you might have while driving a vehicle in another country. Being a tourist anywhere in the world, you can rent a vehicle and drive a car taking the International Driving Permit (IDP) and your original valid driving license to ease the language barrier of your original license to local authorities. Show your International Driving Permit (IDP) and a translation book on request if you’re stopped by the police while driving abroad. You should also show your valid domestic driving license to the police upon request.
- Can I use my international driver’s license to drive in my home country? An International Driving Permit (IDP) is not a standalone document or a license on its own. It is only a translation of your existing driver’s license in multiple languages and serves as proof of your driving credentials in foreign countries where your license may not be recognized. Therefore, you cannot use an IDP to drive in your home country. To legally drive in your home country, you need to hold a valid driver’s license issued by the local authorities. It’s important to note that if you have obtained a driver’s license in a foreign country, you may need to go through a process of converting it to a local driver’s license, depending on the rules and regulations of your home country. In summary, an International Driving Permit cannot be used to drive in your home country, and you must hold a valid driver’s license issued by your local authorities to drive legally.
- What should I do if I lose my international driver’s license while traveling? If you lose your International Driving Permit (IDP) while traveling, the first thing you should do is report the loss to the local authorities in the country where you are staying. You may need to file a police report or obtain a written statement from the local authorities, as this can help you in case you need to apply for a replacement IDP in your home country’s embassy. Next, you should contact your home country’s embassy or consulate in the country where you are staying. They can provide guidance on how to replace your lost IDP, including what documents you need to provide and where to submit your application. The embassy or consulate may also be able to issue a temporary document that allows you to drive legally in the meantime. It’s important to note that the process of replacing a lost IDP can vary depending on the country you’re in and your home country’s requirements. Therefore, it’s a good idea to keep a photocopy of your IDP and your driver’s license as a backup in case of loss or theft. Holders of IDPs issued by the International Driving Authority have copies in a mobile application. If you lost our IDP, please contact us, and we will help you with a reprint. Please note that the reprint fee is $25 + shipping.
- Can I renew my international driver’s license? Yes, sure. You can apply for a renewal as soon as your national driving license is valid. The process is simple: you need to click the Renew or Copy button near the previously issued document on the My Orders page of your profile. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Does an international driver’s license allow me to drive all types of vehicles? No, an International Driving Permit (IDP) only allows you to drive vehicles that are covered by the category of license you hold in your home country. For example, if you have a license to drive a car in your home country, your IDP will only allow you to drive cars in foreign countries where your license may not be recognized. If you want to drive other types of vehicles, such as motorcycles, trucks, or buses, you will need to obtain additional licenses and permits that are specific to those types of vehicles. It’s important to note that driving laws and regulations vary by country, and some countries may have additional requirements for driving certain types of vehicles. Therefore, it’s a good idea to research the specific requirements for driving in the country where you will be traveling and plan accordingly.
- Can I get a digital copy of International Driving License? Yes. Every electronic International Driving License (eIDL) issued by International Driving Authority is stored in our secured database and can easily be accessed by scanning the QR code on each card using our mobile app, with which you can check validity, status, and information online or offline in 70 different languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kyrgyz, Lao, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Maltese, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Turkmen, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese. The whole world is covered!
Obtaining an international drivers license is a crucial step for travelers planning to drive in foreign countries. By following the step-by-step guide, providing the required documentation, and understanding the rules and regulations of your destination country, you can ensure a hassle-free driving experience abroad. Don’t forget to research and adhere to the specific driving requirements of each country you visit to stay safe and compliant on the road. Get your international drivers license today and enjoy the freedom to explore new destinations behind the wheel!